Our Construction Law LawyersSee All Lawyers
We represent clients from all sectors of the construction industry in a broad range of construction-related matters and projects, both large, and small.
We work closely with our clients, including owners, developers, sureties, insurers, contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, architects, engineers, and other design professionals, to find creative solutions to their construction-related issues. We deal with our clients’ matters in a pragmatic, efficient and creative way, by using the most practical means of dispute resolution (including negotiation, mediation, and arbitration) whenever disputes arise.
We are actively involved in a number of professional and industry associations, including the Canadian and Manitoba Bar Associations’ Construction Law Sections. In addition, we have developed a network of expert witnesses and consultants to provide assistance in resolving our clients’ matters.
Our construction litigators have successfully represented our clients before all levels of Court in Manitoba, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada.
Examples of significant projects on which we have recently provided advice include:
- Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
- Investors Group Field;
- the Millenium Library and;
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
We have expertise in a broad range of Construction Law matters, at all stages of a construction project, including:
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating tender documents and requests for proposals;
- Project financing;
- Contract negotiation;
- Preparation of consulting, construction and material & equipment supply contracts;
- Construction bonds and insurance;
- Zoning/land use issues;
- Tendering disputes;
- Contractual claims and modifications;
- Labour disputes;
- Lien and Trust claims under The Builders’ Liens Act;
- Subcontractor disputes;
- Delay claims;
- Extra work claims;
- Construction defect claims;
- Economic loss claims;
- Warranty claims;
- Construction litigation, insurance and enforcement;
- Professional liability claims.
Our clients’ matters often require a multi-disciplinary and/or team approach, particularly in respect of major infrastructure developments and public-private partnerships. Our lawyers have experience in the related areas of financing and securities law, bankruptcy and insolvency law, labour and employment law, municipal law, energy, environmental and regulatory, health infrastructure, workplace safety and health, workers’ compensation, transportation, mining, Indigenous law, real estate and public-private partnerships.