- Admitted to the Bar, 1975, Manitoba.
- University of Winnipeg (B.A., 1971).
- University of Manitoba (LL.B., 1974).
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 1985.
- Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, 1995.
- Chartered Arbitrator, Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Manitoba, 2005.
- International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Manitoba Medico-Legal Society
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Manitoba Inc.
- ADR Institute of Canada Inc.
- Canadian Foundation for Dispute Resolution
- Governor International Academy of Family Lawyers (2015-2017)
- Executive Member International Academy of Family Lawyers
- President International Academy of Family Lawyers (Canada) (2013-2015)
- Manitoba Bar Association, President (1990-1991), Family Law Section, Past Chair
- Canadian Bar Association, Executive (1991), Finance Review Committee (1987-1989), Family Law Section, Past Chair
- Manitoba Bar Council, Life Member
- Law Day in Manitoba, founding Chair
- Law Society of Manitoba, Practice Advisory Committee (1980 to present), Arbitration of Legal Fees Advisory Committee (1978-1989), Advertising Sub-Committee, Chairman (1983-1985)
- Manitoba Institute of Family Therapy, Founding Member and Director (1984-present)
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Director (1984-1987)
- Legal advisor to The Indochina Chinese Association of Manitoba
Jim Stoffman has conducted trials and appeals at all levels of courts in Manitoba and the Supreme Court of Canada for more than 35 years. His legal opinions, commentary and appearances are often sought by the media. He has been a Continuing Legal Education lecturer for the Law Society of Manitoba for many years and has published several articles on Family Law.
Jim Stoffman was one of a handful of lawyers in Canada commissioned by the Federal Government in 1997 to author the Department of Justice Child Support Guidelines Reference Manual.
In 1996, Canadian Business magazine featured Jim Stoffman as one of the 7 ‘superstars” of divorce in Canada.
Since the beginning of the peer-ranked publication entitled Best Lawyers in Canada, Jim Stoffman has not only achieved this designation each year but has been the only lawyer in Manitoba practising Family Law to have done so. For 2012, Jim Stoffman was selected by his peers as “Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year” for Family Law in Manitoba.
International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Jim Stoffman is the principal contact at our firm for all International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers matters. The IAML is a worldwide association of practicing lawyers who are recognized by their peers as the most experienced and skilled family law lawyers in their respective countries. The primary objective of the Academy is to improve international family law practice throughout the world.