Kristen is a partner in the firm and has practiced law at Taylor McCaffrey LLP since her call to the Bar in 1996. Her primary areas of practice are corporate-commercial law and securities, where she has had the opportunity to represent corporations, cooperatives and partnerships in their business endeavors, including identifying and creating appropriate corporate structures within which to operate; raising funds through private means, whether equity or debt, as well as raising funds through more public means of offerings of equity to the public and government funding. Kristen has had the privilege to provide general legal advice to a number of semi-private and private businesses in a variety of industries, including technology, retail; agriculture, insurance, construction, oil and gas and mining.
Specifically, with respect to cooperative law, Kristen successfully completed the only known amalgamation of a corporation with a cooperative in Manitoba in April, 2015. She was invited to participate on a committee of regulators and cooperative developers to recommend legislative changes to The Cooperatives Act relating to multi-stakeholder cooperatives, and subsequently assisted with creating the new Cooperative model by-laws. She has had numerous dealings with a number of individuals at the Manitoba Securities Commission and the Cooperatives Branch. In her practice, Kristen has assisted new generation cooperatives in assembling business plans and equity drives. She represents a number of housing cooperatives, multi-stakeholder cooperatives and worker cooperatives, as well as more traditional producer and consumer cooperatives.
- Commercial Contracts
- Corporate & Commercial
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Services & Restructuring
- Franchise Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Real Estate & Property Development
- Technology & Intellectual Property
- Wills, Estates & Trusts
Memberships and Professional Designations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Coop Zone
- Canadian Council for Public-private Partnerships
- Bookmates Inc., Director (1998-2016)
- Winnipeg International Writers’ Festival (2014 – present)
- Red River Co-op Member Relations, Committee Member (2013-2016)
- Red River Co-op Director, Committee Member (2013-Present)
- University of Manitoba Faculty of Law: Solicitors’ Transactions (1996-1998)
- Hallcrest College: Intro to Commercial Law (1998)
- Manitoba Bar Admission Courses: Commercial Law (2002, 2003)
- Business Transactions: the Art of the Deal, Robson Hall, University of Manitoba (2013)
Involved in numerous initial public offerings; provides local counsel opinions for national public and private offerings.
Focus on public private partnerships (P3s), experienced with limited partnerships, general partnerships, limited liability partnerships; mergers and acquisitions; corporate reorganizations.
Multi-trust wills for high net-worth clients; corporate reorganizations for estate planning purposes.
Experienced in advising commercial private enterprises in dealing with government, environmental policies, assisted in public offerings for bio-diesel/ ethanol plants, wind farms.
Published a book of poetry in 2004: “Stone Boat”, Turnstone Press. Passionate about cycling, travel and wine.