At Taylor McCaffrey LLP, we know that a successful firm relies on an excellent professional team – paralegals, legal assistants, marketers and communicators, human resources professionals and IT experts. Our legal professional support staff thrive in a respectful, collaborative and dynamic work environment. Taylor McCaffrey LLP encourages all staff to continue their professional development for personal and professional growth.
Legal Professional Positions
Taylor McCaffrey LLP, one of Manitoba’s largest law firms and an industry leader is currently seeking a Junior Legal Assistant for our Real Estate Paralegal Pool. This is a term position extending from January, 2021 to fall of 2021.
This position requires a basic knowledge of real estate matters to assist the paralegals in the performance of substantive legal work. Assistance may include all aspects of various residential conveyancing transactions including conducting searches, drafting closing documents and trust letters, which may involve condominiums, leased lands, farmland, new construction and standard residential properties. Each transaction would have a senior paralegal who would oversee work and be available to provide input, advice and guidance. Must be proficient in doing e-registrations, using Word and able to quickly become proficient in using our conveyancing, accounting and document management software.
Over time, it is anticipated that this job incumbent would become back up to and capable of handling more complex real estate paralegal work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducting and review of preliminary searches including tax, title, companies office, water, permit and Personal Property Registry searches
- Ordering condominium documents
- Ordering documents from Land Titles online
- Reading and understanding an Offer to Purchase
- Inputting client and file information in REDS/Conveyancer
- Conducting various conflict searches on new clients
- Opening new files in Acumin and other file management programs
- Depositing and requesting cheques using the finance and accounting software (Acumin)
- Administrative duties including filing, photocopying and scanning
- Creating and managing a file assignment database
- Communication with real estate lawyers and their assistants
- Assisting paralegals with preparing documents, requesting funds, reporting to lenders and clients, etc., when required
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Minimum of 1 year experience working as a real estate legal assistant/law clerk
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Windows Explorer
- Knowledge and understanding of Manitoba Property Registry Electronic Registration
- Must be able to multi-task, manage multiple files simultaneously and work under tight timelines while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Ability to work independently with minimal instruction and guidance
- Must be detail oriented, well organized, able to learn quickly and exercise initiative
- Knowledge of Conveyancer will be an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively as a team as well as independently
- Professional and positive work attitude
- Self-motivated with the ability to work in a fast paced environment
Hours: 8:30 – 4:30 with some fluctuation dependent upon business needs
Job Type: Full-time
Qualified candidates can submit their resume to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees within this class.
Accommodations: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position
Qualified candidates can submit their cover letter and resume via email to: