Mr. Kreel practices in the areas of wills and estates litigation, general civil litigation, and family law.
As Mr. Kreel holds a professional accounting designation as a CPA, CMA, he uses the knowledge, skills, and perspective he gained in the course of obtaining his accounting designation to assist clients with accounting and financial issues that regularly arise in litigation matters. He has extensive experience with cases involving the valuation of shares of closely held corporations, the assessment and quantification of damages and economic loss, and the determination of income for child and spousal support purposes.
In his estates litigation practice, Mr. Kreel acts for executors, trustees, and beneficiaries with respect to wills, trusts, and estates, challenges to wills on the basis of capacity or suspicious circumstances, proceedings to vary, terminate or interpret trusts or wills, and applications to pass accounts. He also acts for clients with respect to the termination of powers of attorney, and the court appointment or removal of trustees and guardians. In addition, Mr. Kreel represents clients with respect to claims brought against estates for support, property and a division of assets, following the death of a spouse or common law partner.
In his general litigation practice, Mr. Kreel represents insurers, insureds and plaintiffs with respect to claims for personal injury damages, property damage, or other claims for economic loss. He acts for both individuals and businesses with respect to a wide range of corporate, commercial and contractual disputes. Mr. Kreel also has significant experience representing parties at Inquests and at Commissions of Public Inquiry.
In his family law practice, Mr. Kreel assists clients with respect to custody, support and property matters, and also negotiates and prepares Pre-Nuptial, Cohabitation and Separation Agreements.
- Advocacy, Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Civil Litigation
- Corporate & Commercial Arbitration
- Corporate & Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice
- Family Law
- Wills, Estates & Trusts
Memberships and Professional Designations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
- The Chartered Professional Accountants of Manitoba
- Mr. Kreel holds a Professional Accounting Designation as a CPA, CMA
Recognitions and Scholarship
- The MacLean Scholarship in Legal History and Criminal Law, University of Victoria
- LL.M. thesis “The Judicial Reconstruction of Wills in Manitoba”, published in the Manitoba Law Journal, Spring, 2002
- Darrell A. Kreel was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada 2020 in the field of Family Law