Since 2008, Jeff has been listed among the peer-selected Best Lawyers™ in Canada in labour and employment law. He primarily practices in the areas of labour relations, employment law, human rights, alternative dispute resolution, and sport law. He represents employers in all matters related to the workplace including as counsel in collective bargaining, drafting employment contracts and policies, management of employees, workplace safety and health disputes, privacy matters, human rights and accommodation issues, discrimination and harassment claims and wrongful or unjust dismissal claims as well as interest and rights arbitrations.
Jeff serves as arbitrator under collective agreements (being on the List of Arbitrators approved by both the Chamber of Commerce and the Manitoba Federation of Labour, as maintained by the Manitoba Labour Board, or as chosen by the parties themselves), an adjudicator or referee appointed by the Minister of Labour under the Canada Labour Code, and as an arbitrator for the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada.
He is an educator too, having taught Human Resource Legislation at the University of Manitoba for many years and regularly serving as a speaker at Law Society, Bar Association and various other training and educational seminars. He presently teaches Employment Law at the University of Manitoba’s law school.
Jeff is a past Chair of the Board of Directors for Sport Manitoba and was a long-time volunteer with the United Way of Winnipeg, most recently serving on Cabinet as Co-Chair of Professions. He was honoured to be selected 4 times as Team Canada’s Ombudsperson with the Canadian Paralympic Committee, at the Paralympic Games in Beijing, Vancouver/Whistler, London and Sochi. More recently he has been a fundraiser for and performer in the annual co-production between the Manitoba Bar Association and the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre. He also serves on the Board of Directors for Prairie Theatre Exchange.
Jeff is a member of the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, which is the leading management-side labour and employment lawyers organization uniquely in Canada.
Taylor McCaffrey LLP is the exclusive Manitoba member of the Employment Law Alliance (the ELA), the world’s largest and leading management-side network of labour and employment lawyers. Jeff is the firm’s primary contact for the ELA and also has volunteered his time with it, including on committees working to revise its strategic plan and organize its annual meeting, and as a participant in various webinars and seminars.
- Labour & Employment
- Administrative Proceedings
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Cannabis & Substance Abuse in the Workplace
- Collective Bargaining
- Employment Litigation
- Human Rights
- Labour Board Proceedings
- Sport Law & Arbitration
- Unionization Issues
- Workplace Investigations
- Workplace Policy and Contract Development
- Workplace Privacy
- Workplace Safety and Health
- Alliance Française (2008 to present)
- Collège Universitaire de Saint Boniface, CLIC (culturel, linguistique intégration dans la communauté) (2006, 2007 et 2008)
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Manitoba, Inc. Intensive Arbitration Course (2005)
- Civil Law/Common Law Exchange, Université de Sherbrooke and Dalhousie University (1983)
Memberships and Professional Designations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member, 1986 to present
- Manitoba Bar Association, Manitoba Bar Council Life Member
- Association des juristes d’expression française du Manitoba Inc., 2008 to present
- Taylor McCaffrey is the exclusive Manitoba member of the Employment Law Alliance, the world’s largest and leading management side network of labour and employment lawyers with selected members literally worldwide
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE) 2006 to present – the leading management-side labour and employment lawyers organization in Canada
- Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada, Arbitrator, 2014 to present
- Human Resources Skills Development Canada, Adjudicator and Referee (Canada Labour Code) 2010 to present
- Sport Manitoba, Board Of Directors, 2008 to 2017, Chair 2013 to 2017
- Canadian Paralympic Committee, Team Canada Mission Staff, Athlete Ombudsperson, 2008 Paralympic Summer Games (Beijing, China); 2010 Paralympic Winter Games (Vancouver/Whistler, Canada); 2012 Paralympic Summer Games (London, England); 2014 Paralympic Winter Games (Sochi, Russia)
- United Way of Winnipeg, 1989 to 2017, Cabinet, Co-Chair of Professions, 2015 to 2017
- Employment Law Alliance, Primary Contact, present
- Labour and Employment Group, Practice Group Leader, present
- Manitoba Bar Association/Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre Annual Lawyers Play, Fundraiser and Performer, present