Jim has conducted trials and appeals at all levels of courts in Manitoba and the Supreme Court of Canada for more than 40 years. His legal opinions, commentary and appearances are often sought by the media, and he has been a continuing legal education lecturer for the Law Society of Manitoba for many years with several published articles on Family Law.
Jim was one of a handful of lawyers in Canada commissioned by the Federal Government in 1997 to author the Department of Justice Child Support Guidelines Reference Manual – a widely-referenced document that outlines parents’ legal responsibilities to their children and ensures the financial well-being of children after a divorce or separation.
In 1996, Canadian Business magazine featured Jim as one of the 7 “superstars” of divorce in Canada.
Since the beginning of the peer-ranked publication entitled Best Lawyers™ in Canada, Jim has not only achieved this designation each year but has been the only lawyer in Manitoba practising Family Law to have done so. For 2012, he was selected by his peers as “Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year” for Family Law in Manitoba.
Jim has held the positions of Governor and President of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (IAFL)
Jim is the principal contact at Taylor McCaffrey LLP for all IAFL matters. The IAFL is a worldwide association of practicing lawyers who are recognized by their peers as the most experienced and skilled Family Law lawyers in their respective countries. The primary objective of the Academy is to improve international family law practice throughout the world.
- Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, 1995
- Comprehensive Family and Divorce Mediation Training 1997
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Manitoba, 2005
Memberships and Professional Designations
- International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Life Member Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Manitoba Medico-Legal Society
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Manitoba Inc.
- ADR Institute of Canada Inc.
- Canadian Foundation for Dispute Resolution
- Governor International Academy of Family Lawyers (2015-2017)
- Executive Member International Academy of Family Lawyers
- President International Academy of Family Lawyers (Canada) (2013-2015)
- Manitoba Bar Association, President (1990-1991), Family Law Section, Past Chair
- Canadian Bar Association, Executive (1991), Finance Review Committee (1987-1989), Family Law Section, Past Chair
- Manitoba Bar Council, Life Member
- Law Day in Manitoba, founding Chair
- Manitoba Institute of Family Therapy, Founding Member and Director (1984)
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Board of Directors (1984-1987)
- Legal advisor to The Indochina Chinese Association of Manitoba