Lawrence has practiced family law for over 27 years and is known for excellence in the field.
Lawrence’s practice focuses on the true needs and interests of his clients. Lawrence is known for crafting strategic solutions through careful planning, preparation, and collaboration with his clients in redressing a myriad of issues including: parenting; wealth preservation; resolving complex property cases often involving multiple layers of corporations, trusts and additional property related matters; support (child and spousal); and various other family related matters.
Lawrence helps resolves family law issues and disputes through negotiation, methods of alternative dispute resolution, like mediation and arbitration, collaborative law, and if necessary, litigation. Lawrence recognizes that while Court is not where anyone in a family breakdown would wish to find themselves, he has extensive experience in the successful resolution of matters at Court, and a very significant body of reported decisions in which he acted as counsel.
Lawrence has been a peer reviewed member of Best Lawyers for years. He is a member of the International Association of Family Lawyers (IAFL), a worldwide association of practicing lawyers who are recognized by their peers as the most experienced and skilled family law specialists in their respective countries.
Lawrence has been instrumental over the years in advocating not only for his clients, but also for family law reform nationally and here at home in Manitoba. Lawrence was actively involved in advocating for amendments to the Divorce Act when he was National Chair of the Canadian Bar Association Family Law Section. Lawrence was invited to speak to the Parliamentary Justice and Human Rights Committee respecting recent amendments to the Divorce Act (which are expected to come into force in March 2021). In that context his submissions and comments were quoted by both the Justice Minister and the Opposition in Parliament. In Manitoba, Lawrence has presented to committees of the Legislature on several family law initiatives both when he was Chair of the Family Section of the Manitoba Bar Association and in other capacities. He has worked extensively on legislative reform respecting multiple matters in Manitoba, most recently involving amendments to The Arbitration Act which now provides for family arbitration.
In the context of family arbitration and mediation, Lawrence has acted as both mediator/arbitrator and is a founding member of FAMLI (the Family Arbitration and Mediation Legal Institute). In that context he has chaired training regarding domestic violence screening for professionals working in the area. Together with others in Manitoba and nationally he is working to establishing national and provincial networks of professionally trained mediators and arbitrators.
Over the years, Lawrence has lectured in Manitoba as well as nationally. Lawrence has spoken at Northwestern University, Faculty of Law (Pritzker School of Law), the University of Manitoba, Faculty of Law (Robson Hall), and the University of Winnipeg. He has written many articles dealing with a multitude of issues in family law which he has presented across the country and here at home.
Lawrence was appointed to Manitoba’s Human Rights Adjudication Panel in 2012. He has been reappointed to that position twice and continues to act as an adjudicator for the Province deciding cases involving alleged breaches of The Human Rights Code together with his colleagues. In that context Lawrence has written decisions that have been described by others as landmark and precedent setting.
Together with his colleagues at Taylor McCaffrey LLP’s family law department – one of the largest in Western Canada – Lawrence would be pleased to assist you.
Memberships and Professional Designations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
- International Academy of Family Lawyers, Fellow
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Manitoba Inc., Past Member
- Alternate Dispute Resolution Institute of Canada Inc., Past Member
- Canadian Foundation for Dispute Resolution, Past Member
- Manitoba Council of Administrative Tribunals
- Canadian Bar Association, National Family Section, Past Chair
- Manitoba Bar Association, Family Law Section Executive, Past-Chair
- Manitoba Bar Association, Family Law Section Legislative Changes Sub-Committee, Past Chair
- Manitoba Bar Association, Past Council Member
- Manitoba Human Rights Board of Adjudication, Human Rights Adjudicator
- Organizing Committee of the Joint Bench/Bar/Law Society Family Law Program 2010-2014, Member and/or Presenter and/or Co-Chair
- 20th Anniversary of the Manitoba Unified Family Court, Past Co-chair
- Court of Queen’s Bench Costs Committee, Past Member
- Court of Queen’s Bench Miscellaneous Committees, Past Member
- Jewish Child and Family Services, Former Board Member, Former Ethics Committee Member
- TM Workplace Safety and Health Committee, Past Chair
- Manitoba Crafts Council, Past Chair
- Manitoba Law Society, Practice and Ethics Committee, Past Member
- Mediation Internship Pilot Project/Manitoba Justice, Lawyer/mediator
- Family – Family Arbitration Mediation Legal Institute – Founder
- Manitoba Association Mid Winter – Speaker & Presenter
- University of Winnipeg – Lecturer – Occasional Guest