Nicole practices primarily in the areas of corporate and commercial law, privacy law, and intellectual property and technology protection, licensing and enforcement (copyrights, trademarks, domain names, trade secrets, confidential information and patent licensing and enforcement). Nicole has a diverse skill set which benefits her clients. Significant portions of Nicole’s practice cover governance, contracts and licensing, regulatory compliance, leasing and real property matters, franchising and consumer protection issues and competition law related matters from a commercial law perspective. Nicole is a registered trade-mark agent with many years of successful practice in this area.
In addition to being a dedicated practitioner, Nicole upholds the Taylor McCaffrey LLP tradition of commitment to community. Nicole is a Past-Chairperson of the Manitoba Bar Association Women Lawyers Forum (“WLF”) Section and presently continues to sit on the Executive of this Section. The WLF is committed to the advancement of women lawyers in the legal profession. Nicole is a co-organizer of the WLF Roundtables, a series of roundtable sessions on defined topics where women in practice can learn from one another. Nicole is also a co-organizer of the Celebrating Success events celebrating women judges appointed and re-tiring from for the Bench in Manitoba.
Early in Nicole’s career, and with the full support of the Firm, Nicole took a leave of absence to volunteer at the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights in Bangkok, Thailand. Nicole focused her efforts on the rights of women and children, a passion she continues to follow to this day. Nicole is a past-Chairperson and long-standing board member of The Laurel Centre Inc. and The Men’s Resource Centre, a Manitoba registered charity, which provides counselling services free of charge to the survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Nicole also works diligently on addressing laws in Canada on this same topic, and is the President of Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada, a Canadian charity dedicated to advocating against child sexual abuse in Canada and around the world. Nicole also serves as a volunteer lawyer on the Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada Legal Team.
- Commercial Contracts
- Corporate & Commercial
- Corporate Governance
- Franchise Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Technology & Intellectual Property
- Beyond Borders Inc., Director, Vice-President and Legal Team Member (2009-present)
- Manitoba Bar Association, Women Lawyer’s Forum, Executive Member and Past Co-Chairperson (2009-present)
- CPLED Section Instructor, Law Society of Manitoba (2009-present)
- The Laurel Centre, Director, Legal Counsel and past-Chair (2002-2015), (2018 – Present)
- Winnipeg Crime Stoppers, Director (2009)
- United Nations Association in Canada, Manitoba Branch, Director (2005-2007)
- Solicitor’s Transactions Course, Instructor (2003-2008)
- Stroke Recovery Association of Manitoba, Director (2003)