Starting her practice in 2018, Rhoni practices in the area of Family Law. Working compassionately with her clients, she helps families through matters like divorce and separation, division of assets, parenting schedules and custody, child and spousal support and pre-nuptial and cohabitation agreements. She focuses on cooperative negotiation and alternative dispute resolution whenever possible, and adopts a child-centered approach with the hope of helping clients resolve their legal issues without costly litigation and in a manner which minimizes potential long-term psychological damage on parents and children.
Rhoni specializes in the contemporary areas of surrogacy and fertility law, a multifaceted and highly sensitive process that requires the management and counsel of several parties – intended parents, egg, embryo and sperm donors, surrogates and medical professionals. Her services include drafting and negotiating donor and surrogacy agreements, declarations of parentage, embryo custody disputes and advocacy.
She also has an interest in adoptions and applications by foster parents and family members for legal guardianship.
Rhoni recognizes that each family unit is unique and that not all families are formed in the traditional sense. With her experience in surrogacy and fertility law, and adoptions and guardianship applications, Rhoni can help families navigate the legal issues which arise when building a family, whatever that family may look like.
A lifelong athlete, Rhoni coaches youth handball and currently sits as treasurer of the Manitoba Team Handball Federation. She is also a mentor for the MBA/MLSA Mentorship Program.
Memberships and Professional Designations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Law Society of Manitoba
- Aulneau Renewal Centre, Member of Board of Directors (2020-present)
- Manitoba Team Handball Federation, Treasurer (2018 – present)
- MBA/MLSA Mentorship Program, Mentor (2018 – present)
- Ecole Kelvin High School girls team handball, Assistant coach (2019)
- Daniel McIntyre boys team handball, Assistant coach(2018)
- UMSU Governance Committee, Committee Member (2016 – 2017)
- Feminist Legal Forum, Treasurer (2016 – 2017)
- MLSA Sports Committee, Chair (2015 – 2016)
- WISE/LEAF No Means No, Youth Facilitator (2014 – 2017)
- SNOW (Safe Night Off Winnipeg Streets), Volunteer (2015 & 2017)
- 2016 Canadian Team Handball Junior Championships, Organizing committee and Volunteer Coordinator (2015 – 2016)
- Annual Young Women’s Conference, volunteer (2015)
- Co-Chair, Bison Book Buddies (2013)
- University of Manitoba, Athlete Council (2011 – 2013)
- University of Manitoba, Women’s Soccer (2008 – 2013)
- D.A. Thompson Q.C. Prize in Law (2017)
- Mr. Justice Gerald W.J. Mercier Prize in Clinical Family Law (2017)
- Judge Ross A. Johnston Prize for Family Law (2017)
- Kimberly Dawn Gusto Memorial Award for Children and the Law (2017)
- Muriel St. John Research Award for Women’s Legal Issues (2016)
- CIS Academic All-Canadian Honour Roll, University of Manitoba (2009 – 2013)
- Dean’s Honour List (2009 – 2012)
- University of Manitoba Athletic Award (Women’s Soccer) (2008 – 2013)
- University of Manitoba Athlete Council (UMAC) Leadership Award (2013)